At Sardis Presbyterian Church, we explore faith together and equip disciples of Jesus Christ who will impact the world in every aspect of their lives to the glory of God. Children are an essential part of this calling; a reality that we bear witness to every time a child is baptized. We are seeking an Interim Director of Children’s Ministries who will serve the church by being responsible for ministering to all children (ages birth through 5th grade), and their families and nurture them in their journey of discipleship. Founded in 1790, Sardis Presbyterian Church is a 1,250 member congregation church located in Charlotte, NC. The Interim Director of Children’s Ministries is accountable to the Session through the Personnel
Ministry and Faith Formation Ministry and is supervised by the Associate Pastor for Contemporary Worship and Community Building.
This position is primarily focused on in-person presence and
leadership weekly on Sunday mornings (8am-12:30pm) and Sunday evenings (5pm-7:30pm).
Preparation and administrative work could be done in the office or remotely during the week.
- Lead Sunday Night Worship, Arts, Music (WAM) program with elementary children.
- Collaborate with Director of Youth Ministry and Director of Traditional Music on meal volunteers.
- Collaborate with Director of Traditional Music on WAM evening schedule
- Lead program for children and/or coordinate with other volunteer
• Oversee volunteer nursery coordinator and ensure there are volunteers lined up each week during both Sunday worship services and other occasions when nursery is open.
- Be present during Sunday school hour each week, check in with Children’s Sunday School teachers to ensure they have the supplies, attendance sheets, and support they
need. Curriculum for Sunday School is already provided for the year.
• Work with Faith Formation ministry to recruit weekly teachers for Preschool Sunday
School or support regular rotation of volunteer teachers.
• Provide Director of Communications with updated information on Children’s ministry
news and events for church-wide and children’s family publications.
• Engage and build relationships with children and their families.
Other or As Needed Responsibilities
• Keep record of Children’s Sunday School attendance.
- • Attend, as needed, monthly children’s ministry team meetings.
• Work with other staff to facilitate Child and Youth Protection training for volunteers as
needed or offer online training material and ensure records of trained volunteers are kept.
• Assist in pastoral care to children and families in collaboration with other church staff.
• As requested and able, attend staff meetings 2x/month (online and in-person options).
• Optional: Assist in leading chapel for Sardis Weekday School preschoolers once or twice a month.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Work experience in Faith Formation or Christian Education is preferred.
- Effectively relates to people of all ages, especially children ages 0yrs – 5
- Ability to plan, organize, and execute ministry programs.
- Supports, collaborates with, and communicates well with volunteers and families in the
• Creates a positive, welcoming environment where children feel safe and loved.